As we celebrate the 70th anniversary of the formalization of the Australia-US military alliance, the Embassy of Australia and LCWINS are proud to present a panel discussion on Women in Global Security, in which we consider the common challenges and opportunities - and our shared values - in this context.
The event will begin with introductory remarks from Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa and The Honorable Arthur Sinodinos AO, Australian Ambassador to the United States of America.
Our panel discussion and Q&A, moderated by Sarah Storey, Minister-Counsellor and Chief of Congressional Liaison, Embassy of Australia to the United States, will feature the following speakers:
- Representative Chrissy Houlihan, Representative for Pennsylvania's 6th congressional district
- Serves on the House Committees on Armed Services, Foreign Affairs and Small Business; Member of New Democrats Coalition; Air Force Veteran; missile technology engineer, entrepreneur and educator.
- Ambassador Julie-Ann Guivarra, Ambassador for Gender Equality, Department of Foreign Affairs
- Former Australian Ambassador to Spain (Australia's first female indigenous Ambassador; lead services negotiator for the Regional Comprehensive Economic Agreement; also posted to World Trade Organsation in Geneva, New Delhi.
- Ambassador Nina Hachigian, Deputy Mayor of International Affairs, City of Los Angeles
- Former U.S. Ambassador to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN); Center for American Progress; founding Board Member of State Department's International Security Advisory Board and LCWINS.
- Major General Michelle McGuinness, Deputy Director for Commonwealth Integration (DDCI), Defense Intelligence Agency
- Multiple operational tours ad experience within the U.S. in intelligence and engagement roles. As DDCI, MAJGEN McGuinness is the senior FVEY officer working in the U.S. intelligence community.